Friday 31 July 2009

Exclusive Book Extracts In Today's Independent Newspaper!

The Independent, a British newspaper, has published several exclusive extracts from my book today.

"When American showbiz lawyer Steven Machat entered the family business, he dealt with Michael Jackson, James Brown, Sam Cooke and many more. In this exclusive extract from his memoir he gives some of his recollections"

To read the feature "Excess all areas: A life in rock'n'roll" click here.


Here's two extracts;

Michael Jackson and New Edition

Michael Jackson was on the speaker-phone, we were on mute, and this was one strange conversation.

The self-proclaimed King of Pop was begging me to send on over a bunch of teenagers I managed so they could hang out with him. I began to see the funny side. Who wouldn't?

New Edition were back then the hottest teen band in America, with a string of hits and two smash albums, and the group were about to be the launchpad of the career of Bobby Brown, a second front-man whose charisma promised even better things to come for him and me. He had no fear. None.

To continue reading, go to the Independent feature here

Ahmet Ertegun and Henry Kissinger

I sat with Henry Kissinger and the boss of Atlantic Records, Ahmet Ertegun. Ahmet's and my mutual drug-dealer had just entered the room. I was convinced we were about to do blow together...

"Dr Kissinger, this is Steven Machat and he is one of the most educated people in the music industry and a real worldly citizen," said Ertegun.

Within minutes of sitting, the buzzer went on the intercom. Ertegun was told that a different kind of doctor altogether was waiting outside. Without missing a beat Ahmet said: "Show him in."

In walked Dr A, who was a doctor only in the sense that he dispensed mother Earth's processed goods for the music business without any licence to practice. Dr A was the drugs dealer to the New York scene.

Ahmet smiled: "Everyone, this is my doctor. Dr A, this is Dr Kissinger. Dr A, this is Steven Machat, a good friend of Atlantic Records."

I decided to keep a diplomatic silence, only too well aware that this could go horribly wrong. Dr A and I shook hands as if we'd never met. Dr A then shook Kissinger's hand and smiled awkwardly, because what could he say? "Hello, I'm Ahmet's drug dealer..."?

Ertegun turned to me. "Steven, Dr Kissinger. Please excuse us for a moment. The doctor and I have things to discuss, in private."

To continue reading, go to the Independent feature here

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the exclusive book extracts.Keep posting the exclusive extracts on latest topics and newly published books.

    ReplyDelete